Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Camp Letter from Seattle

Everyone has been graciously asking how Seattle is. Thanks everyone for the interest! Though I generally find these types of writings kind of dry, I guess a new city warrants at least one camp letter style post. The food is _______. The weather is _______. So, Seattle is...wonderful so far. As I've been telling everyone, it's good to be somewhere new, and the best words I can think of to describe Seattle are clean, green (in both senses), and spacious. From the second I touched down at the airport I was impressed by the spaciousness...the bathroom had about a mile between the stalls and sinks...I guess there just a lot more...space outside of NYC. The Northwest is also home to a beautiful, expansive sky (I don't understand how the sky appears different in different places but it looks wider here) and on a clear day it is a magnificent blue with Mount Rainier in the backdrop (visible only 60 days a year apparently). The sun practically has to be begged to set (the sun always was that overeager servant), so it's basically always light, and when it does set it's a kind of burnish yellow-brown, different from the pastel sunsets of NY. Of course, it's Seattle, so there's a lot of grey, mist, drizzle, and some straight up rain, but I don't mind. More often then not the weather is some kind of strange unpredictable mix...a clear sky with huge grey clouds in its midst or the like.

To NYC though, so it shouldn't get jealous: Seattle may win for natural beauty, but it doesn't hold a candle in terms of nightlife and bustling-ness. As I am a huge nightlife partier, this is a huge disappointment...:) But regardless, I have to say, I was a bit surprised! Seattle is a big American city known for its live music scene and hipster culture, but there is no "midtown" or "village" equivalent...not even close. I went downtown last night around 11 and it was basically empty...the occasional open place but mostly sketchy people roaming around and lots of empty darkness. Not the late night concentration of restaurants, bars, theater, clubs, people and light open I am used to from NY.  It's good for me, though, I think I feel cooler here because there is not the big nightlife scene to feel less cool than?

I am living with 2 college students right off the University of Washington campus who are very sweet. Everyone I met has been friendly and the Jewihs community in particular has taken me in with warmth for Sabbaths and otherwise. The city's reputation for coffee, high-techness, and calm is well deserved and felt. As I don't want to post very long posts, I will sign off for now on the Seattle de-brief, but warm regards to everyone reading, and more to come on less dry topics!

Signing out
DK

No comments:

Post a Comment