Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Eating Lettuce

Out here in Seattle I've had more time to just focus on good eating, so I've been trying to do that. Protein, vegetables, whole grains, water--that sort of thing. I subtly have noticed that I am generally more agile and I am sure the good eating is a big part of that.

But there is something particular about eating a lot of lettuce. When I take a great big wad of lettuce onto my fork, smush it into my mouth, and chew, I just feel so...animalistic. Like a giraffe biting a huge chunk off a tree and chewing away for the next hour or so. I mean essentailly eating lettuce is just eating leaves, right? And it just another one of those reminders that we are, in fact,...animals.

I just always think its funny when I notice this part of myself. Whether while eating, showering, sleeping. The part of myself that just needs what it physically needs and that's all there is to it. I feel like a big kid looking down at his little brother with a sweet, knowing smile, or a parent looking at an infant, like one day you'll grow up and realize there is more to life, kid, but in the meantime you are cute and happy to just be enjoying the rudimentary pleasures of life. My mind watches my body and I remember the lion, eagle, hippopotamus within me, stretching out their limbs into the morning sun.


No comments:

Post a Comment